Search This Blog

Monday, December 9, 2013

Yes, We Can...Write Code. :-)

It's here!  Computer Science Education Week is upon us and as I posted in last week's blog a great way to recognize it is by visiting their site and treating your students to "An Hour of Code".  I am a firm believer in practice what you preach where technology is concerned so I signed up and participated myself.  It was FUN!  It was also a tad addicting. The minute I saw the Angry Bird logo I knew that kids would be interested but I was still sketchy about adults.  That skepticism quickly vanished when I entered the site:  http://learn.code.org/hoc/1   It was engaging and educational at the same time.  Basically users are trying to "write code" that gets the bird to the pig.  This video explains how:  

What a great way to get students excited about writing code!  There are extension activities as well for those students and teachers who are interested in going beyond the hour where they learn the basic concepts of Computer Science with drag and drop programming. The website provides 15-25 hours of "unplugged" classroom activities interspersed with game-like, self-directed tutorials starring video lectures by Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, Angry Birds and Plants vs. Zombies.  
I strongly encourage you to introduce your students to the concept of coding in this way.  You won't be sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment